Cooks Kitchen Mine

Cooks Kitchen Mine began life in the 18th Century as a small rich Copper Mine. As the mine grew and went deeper the Copper ran out to be replaced by rich Tin lodes. The mine worked until the 1920’s along with its close neighbour Tincroft, after they had merged in the early 1900’s to become Carn Brea and Tincroft Mines.
Cooks Kitchen attained a final depth of 420 fathoms, the miners were assisted by a Man Engine to get underground. This took them to 234 fathoms, the rest was done on ladders. During its working life the mine produced 40,920 tons Copper,8,859 Tons tin and 120 tons of Arsenic. The unusual name for the mine is said to have originated when a miner called Cook found the main Tin lode, he said “it was as wide as his kitchen”.
Very little remains today apart from the two engine houses at Chapple’s Shaft, the remains of the Man Engine were buried under rubble a few years ago.

Please note these Engine Houses are situated on private property.

Cooks Kitchen

The pair of engine houses at Chapple’s Shaft. In the foreground is the stack for the Pumping engine lacking its brickwork top, the Pumping house on the right has the smashed front wall where the cylinder was removed, the Whim house on the left has lost one of its walls.

Cooks Kitchen

Looking across at the remains of Cooks Kitchen Mine, clearly showing the Whim Engine House at right angles to the Pumping Engine Shaft.

Cooks Kitchen

The house of the 26″ Whim Engine at Chapple’s shaft , the shadow of the chimney from the pumping house leads well into the image.

Cooks Kitchen

The wall on the Boiler House side has collapsed, the engine here worked from 1860 -1888, it was a narrow shaft and only a kibble was used for hoisting.

Cooks Kitchen

The Whim Engine House is of Cooks Kitchen is heavily braced indicating that when it was working the house was suffering structural problems during its life

Cooks Kitchen

The base of the Bob Wall of the Whim Engine House, in the foreground are the foundations for the flywheel with bolts still in place.

Cooks Kitchen

The Pumping Engine House with its separate stack, the engine here was originally a 50″, in 1872 it was converted to a 55″, again the house is heavily braced to reinforce the walls, in the background is the South Crofty ore bins at New Cook’s Kitchen Shaft, this was taken when the mine was had closed.

Cooks Kitchen

A closer image of the Pumping Engine House, in the background is the headframe over New Cooks Kitchen Shaft South Crofty Mine.

Cooks Kitchen

The intact south wall of the Whim Engine House, I am standing on or near the location of the Man Engine House.

Cooks Kitchen

The classic view of the two Engine Houses at Chapple’s Shaft Cooks Kitchen Mine.

Cooks Kitchen

The same view, however this one was taken 15 years later, here the Engine Houses had received much needed structural repairs and stabilisation.

Ding Dong Mine

Contact