East Cornwall Mines

The East Cornwall Mines are located around Kit Hill, Callington, Gunnislake and Calstock. Mining dates back for many hundreds of years with Tin streaming, shaft and adit works were in use by the 16th Century.
Large scale mining for Tin, Copper, Arsenic, Wolfram had commenced by the latter half of the 18th Century, Lead, Silver and Zinc were also evident in the area. The mining boom continued into the latter years of the 19th Century, some mines continued to operate into the 1900’s, investigation into Wolfram production occurred during the first world war.
In the latter months of 2012 investigations at Redmoor Mine with a view to an exploration drilling program during 2013, this could mean a return of mining to this part of Cornwall.

Hidden away in the Danescombe Valley West of Calstock are the remains of Cothele Consols otherwise known as Danescombe Mine. The mine worked from 1880-1887 producing 72 tons of Copper and 323 tons of Arsenic.

East Cornwall Mines

One of the walled shafts in Danescombe Valley.

East Cornwall Mines

The 40″ Pumping Engine House of Cothele Consols, this was converted in the 1980’s to a holiday home. To the right of the building is the Crushing and Boiler Houses.

East Cornwall Mines

The interior of the Boiler House, the foundation for the single boiler can clearly be seen.

East Cornwall Mines

A detailed image of the brickwork at the end of the Boiler House, these lead to the flue to the chimney on the hillside above.

East Cornwall Mines

The flue from the Boiler House leading up the hillside to the chimney.

Close to the town of Gunnislake are the remains of Hingston Down Consols. The impressive engine house on Bayly’s Shaft remains, this image was taken in the 1990’s since then the site has been cleared and stabilised. The mine worked from 1850-1917 producing 65,710 tons of Copper, 254 tons of Tin, 200 tons of Arsenic and 152 tons of Wolfram

East Cornwall Mines

The impressive flat roofed engine house on Bayly’s Shaft, still open when the photograph was taken.

The Tamar and West Devon Mines Gallery

Contact