This page looks at the latter part of the mines life as East Pool and Agar Ltd.The year 1921 brought disaster for the mine, a large rockfall underground had caused flooding and destroyed both of the main winding shafts. In 1922 a shaft was proposed 250m away, by 1925 the Taylor’s Shaft Complex had been completed. This continued as the primary pumping and winding shaft for the mine until closure.
Today the site is managed by the National Trust, the preserved 90″ Cornish Pumping Engine is the centrepiece. The engine was constructed in 1892 by Harvey’s and Co of Hayle and designed by Nicholas Trestrail a local engineer. Originally built for the Carn Brea mines it lay idle until East Pool and Agar brought the engine in 1924 and moved it to Taylor’s Shaft, this was the last time a Cornish Pump was installed in a mine in Cornwall.
The shaft was named after M.T.Taylor who was the mine superintendent at the time, it was a three compartment measuring 20ft by 9ft, the final depth was 1,700ft. When East Pool and Agar closed in 1945 South Crofty Mine had to run the engine to keep their own workings dry, the engine worked until 28th September 1954 when electric pumps took over.
An image looking towards the Pumping Engine House, to the right of the building stood the ore bins.
In the foreground are the foundations for the ore bins.
Looking towards the front of the Engine House, the 110ft Chimney with the letters EPAL in white brick (East Pool and Agar Ltd). The pump rod over the shaft can be seen, the black building to the right of the shaft was a ventilation unit that was used by South Crofty.
Looking towards the Engine House from the foundations of the Rock Crusher.
The mine chimney here is 110ft (34m) tall. It bears the letter “EPAL” near the top. Not only did this stand for “East Pool and Agar Ltd” this was the brand attached to the Arsenic the mine sold.
A final external view of this amazing building at East Pool and Agar Mine.
An old upturned wagon makes an interesting image.
Sections of old pump rods along with some large valves.
Scattered around the site are numerous pieces of mining history, here in the grass a selection of old valves.
Broken sections of beams are stacked outside the Engine House.
An image of the pipes and valves at the base of the Engine House.
The Balance Box, this was made in 1911 by the Charlestown Foundry in St Austell, unusually it’s made from steel plate instead of cast iron. This is a fantastic example at East Pool and Agar Mine, it balanced the weight of the pump rods in the shaft.
This is the swivel point which allowed the Balance Box to move with the pump rods, three more of these worked at different levels in the shaft.
The rear door of Taylor’s Engine House.
An image of the “Nose” of the beam where the pump rod is attached.
The remaining images on this page were taken inside the 90″ Engine House at Taylor’s Shaft of East Pool and Agar Mine.
On walking through the door the first thing you see is the massive 90″ cylinder of this magnificant engine. Surrounded by polished timber held in place by brass bands it’s quite a sight.
The driver’s position at the rear of the cylinder.
The Middle Chamber and the top of the cylinder, behind are the equilibrium valves, the ornate cast balustrading can be seen on the raised balcony.
Looking down at the top of the cylinder, when working Taylor’s Engine would run at about 5 strokes per minute, it pumped around 90 gallons of water per stroke.
A closer image of the valve gear and chest.
Detail of one of the engine valves.
One of the oil feeders on the cylinder cover.
Another oil feeder all different, they are beautifully made.
The piston rod going up to where it joins onto the beam.
In the Top Chamber is the massive beam for the engine. Each side is a single casting the overall weight is over 52 tons, the makers name and date is visible on the end.
The engine houses of East Pool and Agar Mines are a great place to visit, I enjoyed myself wandering around, I would recommend it to anyone. For more information follow this link East Pool and Agar Mine
Grenville United Mines