Giew Mine, this is the 50″ Pumping Engine House at Frank’s Shaft. It is a prominent landmark on Trink Hill near Cripplesease on the B3311 road to Penzance.
The Engine House which was erected in 1871 when the mine was reworked under the name of South Providence Mine between 1870 and 1878. In 1907 the mine was re-opened as part of “St Ives Consolidated Mines” along with other local mines such as: St Ives Consols, Wheal Trenwith, Georgia Mine and Rosewall Hill. New plant and machinery were installed and the Engine House was converted to an ore bin. The outbreak of war in 1914 sucked away much of the workforce and the company was liquidated in 1915. The Giew Mine section however remained working up to 1923 and for a short time was the only working mine in Cornwall. Attempted re-openings were considered in 1927 and 1965 but never got off the ground. The mine is considered to be a good prospect with large blocks of unworked land.
The shaft here is 1464ft deep, sinking began in the early 1860’s, it was narrow and crooked and was costly to maintain.
All these images were taken in the mid 1990’s for one of Bob Acton’s Exploring Cornish Mines Series of books.