Grenville United Mines, this is a page of two mines, Condurrow and Wheal Grenville. They merged in 1906 to form the Grenville United Mines, between them they produced over 31,000 tons of Tin from working the Great Flat Lode.
The images on this page were taken in 1995 for use in Bob Acton’s book Exploring Cornish Mines Vol 2.
An image Marshall’s Engine House of South Condurrow Mine, it was built in 1886 to house a 60″ Pumping Engine.
Marshall’s 26″ Whim Engine House.
An image of the Whim taken through the boiler house doorway of the Pumping Engine House.
The huge 90″ Pumping Engine House at Fortescue’s Shaft Grenville United. The shaft here is 2370ft deep on the underlie, the engine was built in 1872 by Harvey’s of Hayle. There was an attempt to reopen the shaft in the 1960’s to reach sections of the Great Flat Lode that were believed not to have been worked, but this was a failure.
A view of the two Engine Houses at Fortescue’s Shaft Wheal Grenville. The closer engine house was for a 40″ Whim (Winding) engine, the larger in the distance housed the 90″ pumping engine.
The New Stamps Engine House of Wheal Grenville. This was built around 1890, the engine here drove 136 heads of Cornish Stamps to break the ore, the noise must have been extraordinary.
A second image of the Stamps Engine House.
The foundations for the flywheel that drove the heads of stamps, in the distance are the two engine houses on Fortescue’s shaft.
Great Wheal Busy