Mount Wellington Mine was originally part of the United Mines, a major Copper producer which closed in the 1880’s. In the early 20th Century the site was worked on a small scale as Magpie Mine by three brothers named Wellington. After a collapse of ground in the shaft they were using, the site was abandoned. In the 1930’s a company called Argus Concessions Ltd obtained the lease. After a large amount of underground development the mine once again closed in 1939, the ores were complex proving difficult to process, along with the low price of Tin at the time proved fatal.
In the late 1960’s diamond drilling on the site was commenced, favourable results were found and in 1969 planning permission was granted to Cornwall Tin and Mining Company Ltd to erect building and commence shaft sinking with began in September of that year. Lack of funds in 1973 caused a halt to mining preparations. Further investment was found, the shaft was deepened and the mill construction was due to be completed and operational by January 1976.
The modern Mount Wellington Mine worked from 1976 to April 1978. Closure was due to a variety of reasons: the mine was very wet pumping over 5,000 gallons per minute, the mill output was not what the company had hoped for, labour problems and management errors also added to the problems. After closure the mine continued to pump for a short while, it was connected underground with Wheal Jane Mine across the valley, the two enterprises worked in unison to keep the tunnels free from water. The mill worked until May 1981 processing parcels of South Crofty ore and waste from the Carnon Valley.
I first visited this site in 1992 and was amazed at the survival. Sadly over the years the buildings was gutted and smashed, in 2007 the headframe was removed which was sad, there are so few left in Cornwall now.
The site has been taken over in January 2007 by Richard Freeborn of Kensa Engineering Ltd a manufacturer of ground source heat pumps.The site has retained many of its features which is good news.