Located in Zennor near St Ives, Rosevale Mine is owned by the “Rosevale Historical Mining Society” who are a group of underground enthusiasts and ex-miners. They are dedicated to the restoration of the underground workings using traditional mining methods.
More information on the site can be found by following this link:
The site was worked during the 18th Century as Wheal Chance, operations were concluded around 1840. The mine was re-opened during the early years of the 20th Century as Zennor Mine until 1914 with the advent of World War One.
These images were taken with my partner Tracy on a trip in August 2013.
An image looking down the main drive into the mine on No2 level.
No2 Level looking down the drive towards the mine entrance.
Very much preserved as a working mine, this is an old wagon on No2 Level.
A Cousin Jack shute used to load the ore onto the wagons from the stope (working area) above.
A compressed air Eimco 12B Rocker Shovel tucked out of the way on No2 level.
Heavy timbers can be clearly seen supporting the roof of the drive.
A Cousin Jack chute with an ore wagon in the background.
The same chute from the other side.
The timbering here was very extensive, the area above would have needed to support the ore and waste from the stope above.
Another image of the timbered section on No2 drive.
Drills and tools stacked to one side on the drive.
This image is looking up into the stope above No2 level, the ladder leads upto a working area, supporting timbers are on the right of the image.
Looking up the fixed ladders on No2 towards No1 level . At the top of each ladder there is a platform on which the next ladder is attached.
This image is looking down a fixed ladder to the Deep Adit level of the mine. This small shaft (Winze) was recently mined to allow access to the adit. Restoration work is in progress in this area, the pipe coming up the shaft is attached to a pump to keep the water level down.