The Camborne Mines and this area of Cornwall is often regarded as the capital of Cornwall’s Mining Districts. The area contained not only important mines, but many of the services that supported the Cornish Industry were based there, such as: Holman’s Rock Drills, Rope Works, Camborne School of Mines and Bickford’s Safety Fuse Factory. The area contained many notable and very profitable mines, Dolcoath (The Queen of Cornish Mines) alone produced a massive 350,000 tons of Copper and 80,000 tons of Tin. For such an important mine there is very little left to see now on the surface, underground the once busy mine drives are flooded and silent.
I really should have included Redruth in this area, but I have dedicated a separate heading.
An image looking across part of the “Central Mining District”. In the foreground Dolcoath, to the right Cooks Kitchen to the left South Crofty Mine. This was taken in 1992.
Carn Brea Mine the remains of the Stamps Engine House. This was the home to a 32″ engine, the house was constructed in 1837 making it one of the oldest survivors in Cornwall, the engine had a long life operating until 1913. The mine worked from 1833-1920 producing 237,493 tons Copper, 29,600 tons Tin and 4,140 tons of Arsenic.
Cook’s Kitchen Mine, this site is adjacent to South Crofty and worked from 1815-1905 producing a total of: 40,920 tons Copper,8,859 Tons tin and 120 tons of Arsenic.
For more images follow this link Cook’s Kitchen Mine Gallery
The impressive Engine House on Neame’s Shaft Great Condurrow Mine. This worked from 1860-1913 producing 30,495 tons Copper and 2,030 tons of Tin.
Vivian’s Shaft Great Condurrow Mine, this is on the site of the King Edward Mine Museum.
For more images follow this link: King Edward Mine Museum
The engine house on New East Shaft of Dolcoath Mine.
The preserved drum of the winder at Harriet’s Shaft of Dolcoath Mine
For more images follow this link: Dolcoath Mine Gallery
Michell’s Shaft of East Pool and Agar is situated between Camborne and Redruth, this is the flywheel of the preserved Winding Engine. These are the remains of two mines which merged in 1897, it is the home to a preserved 30″ Rotative Beam Engine that is open to the public. In total the mines worked from 1835-1945, East Pool produced 88,3000 tons Copper, 38,490 tons Tin, 31,722 tons Arsenic and 2,820 tons of Wolfram. Wheal Agar produced 3,033 tons of Copper.
Across the road from Mitchell’s Whim House is the preserved 90″ Pumping Engine on Taylor’s Shaft, also open to the public, preserving the heritage of The Camborne Mines.
Follow this link to see more images in the East Pool and Agar Gallery
East Pool and Agar Information
The New Stamps Engine House of Wheal Grenville. The foundations for the flywheel that drove the 136 heads of stamps, in the distance are the two engine houses on Fortescue’s shaft.
For more images follow this link: Grenville Mine Gallery
The Camborne Mines, an image of South Crofty Mine soon after closure. The headframe over New Cooks Shaft which was 769m deep.
For more images of South Crofty Mine follow this link: South Crofty Mine Surface
Robinson’s Shaft South Crofty Mine taken in 1998.
For more images of South Crofty Mine Robinson’s Shaft follow this link: South Crofty Mine Robinson’s Shaft
The headframe over Roskear Shaft South Crofty Mine taken in 1997.
For more images of South Crofty Mine Roskear Shaft follow this link: South Crofty Mine Roskear Shaft
An image looking down New Cook’s Kitchen Shaft of South Crofty Mine.
For more images of South Crofty Mine Underground follow this link: South Crofty Mine Underground
The Stray Park Mine 60″ Pumping Engine House, this old mine was sold to Dolcoath in 1870 for around £2,000. The mine was never rich, Dolcoath attempted to sell the property again in 1888 with no success.
Tincroft Mines Compressor house, this building dates from 1891. The mine worked from 1815-1921 producing 112,700 tons Copper, 32,970 ton Tin, and 6,530 ton Arsenic.
Not part of The Camborne Mines, this image is looking across the slime tables of the remains of a Tin Streaming Plant. In the background is the headframe on New Cooks Kitchen Shaft South Crofty Mine.
The ruined warehouses on the Bickford’s Fuse Works Site, the headframe and processing sheds of South Crofty Mine can be seen in the background.
For more images of Bickford’s Fuse works follow this link: Bickford’s Fuse Works
The Redruth Mines Gallery