Caradon Hill has been the site of tin streaming for many hundreds of years, however it was not until the 1830’s when a large Copper deposit was discovered that large scale mining commenced on both sides of the hill. This page will cover both the Caradon and Phoenix group of Mines.
All these images were taken during the late 1990’s.
Wheal Jenkin Mine Bellingham’s Shaft, the chimney for this house stood on the ground to the front, this collapsed into old underground workings. A similar collapse has recently happened at the rear and is awaiting stabilisation. The mine worked from 1830-1890 producing 292 tons of Tin, the chimney in the background belongs to the Stamps Engine House.
An image of the rear showing the remains of the boiler house.
An image of the Wheal Jenkin Stamps Engine House, in a sorry state of repair.
Another image of the Stamps house with the associated stack.
An image of the Whim Engine House at Salisbury Shaft Marke Valley Mine, this worked from 1837-1890 producing 128,500 ton of Copper and 393 ton of Tin. The second stack on the LHS belongs to the Pumping House, all these were in a bad state of repair when photographed in 1997.
The 80″ Pumping Engine House on the Prince of Wales Shaft of Phoenix United Mine. This mine worked from 1848-1898 producing 16,352 ton Tin and 82,686 tons of Copper.
The impressive dressed stone archway in the bob wall of the Prince of Wales Engine House.
One of the archways allowing access to the main boiler house.
Houseman’s 50″ Pumping Engine House of South Phoenix Mine, this was used as a dwelling hence the windows in the built up bob wall, today it’s a visitor centre for the area. The mine worked from 1847-1892 producing a total of 419 tons of Tin.
A second image of South Phoenix Mine looking across the dressing floors.
The St Austell Mines