This page includes The Gwennap Mines and Carnon Valley. It covers the mines of St Day, Chacewater then following the Carnon Valley to Devoran.
During the late 18th and early 19th centuries this area was describe as the “richest square mile to be found anywhere on the earth”. The district was made famous by some of Cornwall’s richest mines, initially mined for Tin in shallow deposits this was worked out and Copper became the major mineral of importance. The mines here were isolated from the coast so tramways were laid to ferry the ore to ports at Portreath and Devoran for shipping out to the smelters.
One of the greatest achievements was the construction of the Great County Adit which was commenced in 1748 by John Williams of Scorrier to drain Poldice Mine, eventually this reached nearly 40 miles in length draining many of the mines in the district.
Harvey’s 85″ Pumping Engine House on Great Wheal Busy, this well preserved survival is west of Chacewater and retains the stack and boiler house, in the valley below are the remains of the mine’s calciner and the foundations of the processing shed. The mine worked from 1815-1924
For more images follow this link: Wheal Busy Mine Gallery
The graceful Engine House at Hawke’s Shaft of Killifreth Mine, this contained an 80″ pumping engine. The mine worked from 1859-1920, producing 4,060 tons Tin, 681 tons Copper and 360 tons of Arsenic.
For more images follow this link: Killifreth Mine Gallery
The bob wall of the 80″ Engine House of Nangiles Mine, the remainder of the house was demolished in 1967. Wheal Jane used the shaft as an access point in the 1980’s. Large mine dumps are in the valley below. The mine was highly acidic due to the Sulphides present in the ores, it was said the water could burn the boots off a man in a day. The mine worked from 1845-1906 producing 3,000 tons of Copper and 193 tons of Tin.
Part of the remains of the Poldice Processing Plant.
For more images follow this link: Poldice Mine Arsenic Works
The two surviving Engine Houses of Unity Wood Mine at Magor’s Shaft. The closer house contained a 70″ pumping engine built by Harvey’s of Hayle in 1861, the smaller house was for a 20″ dual purpose engine used for winding and for powering stamps to crush the ore. The mine worked from 1815-1873 producing 22,700 tons of Copper and 1,200 tons of Tin.
An image looking towards the Winding/Stamps House on Magor’s Shaft Unity Wood Mine, nicely framed by the shadow of the Pumping House.
Looking across the open shaft to the Pumping Engine House of Wheal Grambler. the mine worked from 1843-1893 producing 12,500 tons of Copper and 97 tons of Tin.
A view across Consols, looking towards the Mount Wellington Tailings Dam.
More images of the Consols and United Mines can be found on the Consols Gallery
The St Agnes Mines Gallery