This page includes Redruth, Illogan and Scorrier Mines, the separation of these Mines from Camborne is proving to be a bit tricky.
An image of Marriott’s Shaft on the South Wheal Frances Section of the Basset Mines.
For more images follow this link: Basset Mine Gallery
The scant remains of Wheal Buller Mine, this worked 1819-1875 it produced 140,000 tons of Copper making it the fourth largest producer in Cornwall.
The 70″ Pumping Engine House of Hallenbeagle mine near Scorrier, the mine worked from 1835-1846 producing 30,580 tons of Copper.
Hallenbeagle Mine, the Whim Engine house chimney in the background.
An image of Hallenbeagle Mine looking across the railway.
The impressive survival of the Tolgus Calciner along the Old Portreath road.
For more images follow this link: Tolgus Calciner Gallery
North Treskerby Mine, the 80″ Pumping Engine House on Doctor’s shaft. This mine worked from 1859-1892 producing 19,270 tons of copper and 150 tons of tin.
A dramatic image of Wheal Peevor Mine framed by the calciner. This mine worked from 1872-1918 producing 3,280 tons of tin. The three engine houses from left to right are: the 32″ Stamps, 70″ Pumping house on Sir Frederick’s shaft and the 18″ whim (winding) house, this was taken before the site was stabilised.
For more images follow this link: Peevor Mine Gallery
Wheal Rose Mine near Scorrier worked between 1826-1872, the engine house was converted to a dwelling several years ago.
Standing high above the town of Redruth the stack of Penandrea Mine. The mine worked from 1854-1891 producing 7,700 Tons of Tin and 1,090 Tons of Copper.
The Engine House of Pennance Mine near Lanner, it worked from 1866-1872 producing 590 tons of Copper.
Wheal Uny Mine, the two engine houses on Hind’s Shaft. The further engine house contained the mine’s 70″ Pumping Engine, the closer contained the Whim. The mine worked from 1800-1930 producing 2,825 ton Copper and 7,660 tons of Tin.
An image of the Pumping Engine House showing the fine stonework of the building.
In the foreground is the Whim House standing at right angles to the Pumping Engine House.
An image of the site from the other side, showing the stack with the two engine houses in the background.
The Gwennap Mines Gallery