Trewavas Head Mine is situated along the coast from Porthleven. The workings here went out under the sea following rich Copper deposits. The mine worked from 1835-1846 producing 17,500 tons of Copper and employing over 150 miners. The final depth was around 600ft which was accessed by a diagonal shaft slightly inland. The closer Engine House is on Old Engine Shaft, the distant house is on New Engine Shaft. These images were taken before the buildings were stabilised.
The Engine Houses here have recently been renovated, theses images were taken around 1998.
Infront of the Engine House there are two shafts, one vertical and one on the incline. There is a large Capstan Flat area here which the Royal Navy use for Helicopter landing practice.
The Pumping Engine House on “New Engine Shaft” in the cliff below can be seen the entrance to the choked adit.
A good photo of the Old Engine House.
A final image of Trewavas Head Mine taken on a moody day before the heavens opened.
Wheal Busy Mine Gallery