Wheal Busy Mine, formerly named Chacewater Mine. Tin was mined here from the 17th Century onwards. One of the most important periods for the mine was from around 1815 to 1870, initially Copper was produced but from the mid 1850’s Tin was the main production. In 1856 Harvey’s Engine House was erected to hold an 85″ Pumping Engine. The mine steadily expanded to take in neighbouring setts and it was renamed to Great Wheal Busy United. After ten years of working the original engine was sold off when the company moved most of its operations to the eastern part of the mine.
In 1872 the house was once again in use hosting a 90″ engine, this was to drain the old workings to allow re-investigation and development. However this was a short lived attempt, the Tin price crash of 1873 forced the mine to close after much investment in the older sections. Mining was carried out on a small scale in the last years of the 19th Century for Arsenic from the levels above adit.
The final chapter of the mine occurred in 1907 when an Anglo-Belgium company re-opened the sett for Arsenic production. A new secondhand 85″ engine was erected in the house, processing floors and an Arsenic Calciner and Flue were erected. The mine finally closed in 1924.
The recorded production figures from 1815-1924 are: 104,700 tons Copper, 1,758 tons tin, 26,650 tons Mispickel and 735 tons of Arsenic.