The Perranzabuloe Mining District, this area of Cornwall is best known for its Lead and Iron Mines.
On Newlyn Downs bordered on one side by the Carland Cross Wind Farm are the scant remains of Cargoll Mine, no buildings survive apart from the base of an Engine House. The whole area is covered by mining waste on which very little seems to grow. From 1845 to 1884 the output is recorded to have been: 9,800 tons of Lead, 177,400 oz of Silver along with quantities of Copper and Pyrites.
West Chiverton Mine, this was the most successful of the Chiverton Group of Mines. Over a period from 1859-1886 the mine produced 45,100 tons Lead, 22,000 tons Zinc and 1,221,200 Ounces of Silver. The impressive Pumping Engine House on Batter’s Shaft is unusual in having the cylinder doorway in the side wall and the stack centralised in the backwall rather than in the corner of the house.
East Wheal Rose worked from 1834-1855, during this period the mine produced 48,200 tons of Lead, 212,700 Ounces of Silver, 280 tons of Zinc and 160 tons of Copper, during its years of operation the mine was the biggest Lead Silver producer in the UK. The impressive remains of the engine house on the site contained a 100″ pumping engine, the largest to be erected in Cornwall. The mine was the site of Cornwall’s worst ever mining disaster in 1846 when 39 miners drowned when a freak rainstorm overwhelmed and flooded the mine. There was an attempted re-working in 1882, for four years the pumping engines on the mine drained the waters, the output was virtually nothing and a huge amount of money was wasted. Today the engine house is the centre piece of the Lappa Valley Railway.