The St Ives Mines

The mines in the St Ives Mining District have suffered over the years, with few obvious remains left. Large scale mining here generally declined during the latter part of the nineteen century, due to the low Tin prices. By 1890 all the mines had closed. In 1905 there was a slight resurgance when the price of Tin again rose, St Ives Consols and Giew Mines were the last to work, Giew was the final mine to close in 1922. The mines in this area were well known for huge underground ore bodies known as Carbonas, these were principally found in St Ives Consols and Rosewall Hill Mine, after they were mined out they remained as huge empty caverns, now silent and filled with dark water.

St Ives Mining District

The Pumping Engine House of Giew Mine on Frank’s Shaft, the mine worked from 1838-1922 producing 145 tons of Tin.

St Ives Mining District

A second image of Giew Mine showing the remains of the boiler house.

St Ives Mining District

This image was taken standing on top of Rosewall Hill looking towards St Ives. The two chimneys belong to Rosewall and Ransom Unted Mine, this worked from 1839-1876 producing 1,500 tons of Tin. The closer stack served the whim and the lower belonged to the pumping engine, the engine houses still survive but are covered in ivy and deep in the gorse.

The Caradon Hill Mines Gallery

Contact