Ding Dong Mine is generally thought to be one of the oldest in Cornwall, it’s claimed to have lodes worked as far back as pre-historic times.
The workings of the sett which is over 1.5 miles long and a mile wide is a combination of 16 separate mines which merged in the early 19th century. Main production of the mine is given between 1814-1878, with a total of 3,472 tons of black tin recovered. The mine finally closed in 1880 after the price of Tin had dropped to £41 per ton due to cheap Tin sources being developed around the world. Re-workings were attempted in 1912 and 1928 but with no success. At its height the mine had five engines at work, today there are three remaining engine houses with Tin open works scattered around the moor, so please take care when exploring the site.
Located in the Parish of Madron, the site is barren and lonely but has a magic of its own.