Tresavean Mine is located south of the A393 on Lanner Moor. Formally known as one of Cornwall’s leading Copper Mines, it worked from 1815-1928.
The mine produced a vast total of 230,000 tons Copper and 4,000 tons of Tin. In the final years it was open the workings reached a depth of 443 fathoms. So this made it the second deepest mine in Cornwall behind Dolcoath.
The mine was known as being very hot in the deep levels. Because of this and the depth it was the site of the first Man Engine installed in Britain. This machine would get the miners to the working levels in a much shorter time. The shaft can still be seen today.
Apart from a Stamps Engine House which was built in 1882, several capped shafts complete with Bat Castles, very little remains on site. The extensive processing floors were sadly demolished to make way for a sports field.
Mining here dates back to the 1700’s with the first Steam Engine being installed during 1758. The most productive years were from 1820-1850 when the bulk of the Copper was produced.
With falling Copper prices the mine went up for sale in 1858. Since then it was worked as; Tresavean and Tretharrup, Tresavean Mining Company and finally as Tresavean Mines in 1907.
Final closure came in 1927 after disappointing results.