Killifreth Mine

Killifreth Mine: This site is best known for the tallest remaining stack in Cornwall at Hawke’s (or Richard’s Shaft) Pumping Engine House. This building was erected during 1891 for an 80” engine. In 1897 there was an accident when the engine beam (bob) broke and the engine was subsequently scrapped.

All the images on this page were taken during the mid 1990’s.
Killifreth Mine
A Killfreth Mine Share Certificate dating from July 1920.
In a later reworking in 1913 a second hand 85” engine was installed in the house and the height of the stack was increased, This provided sufficient draught for the four boilers which powered it along with an air compressor also a horizontal steam whim.
Killifreth Mine
Killifreth Mine 1 – The first view of Hawke’s Engine House through the trees. The shaft is behind the house and reached a depth of 125 fathoms. Before capping the pump rod and rising main were still in situ in the shaft.
At the rear of the house the shaft is capped with a well preserved balance box pit. Finally the shaft reached a final depth of 125 fathoms. The engine was scrapped during 1944 soon after the troops who were billeted in the area left for D-Day.
Killifreth Mine
Killifreth Mine 2 – Another closer image of the engine house from the boiler house side. The building was consolidated during 1987-8.
Mining here was recorded as early as the 16th century, the mine operated from 1859-1924, starting first as a Copper producer then progressing onto Tin (1864). The final re-working was with Wheal Busy from 1923-1924. 
The recorded total output of the mine was: 4,060 tons Tin, 681 tons Copper and 360 Tons of Arsenic.
Killifreth Mine
Killifreth Mine 3 – It is a lovely Engine House.
Killifreth Mine
Killifreth Mine 4 – A good image of the engine house showing the finely proportioned chimney. There are more trees around the building since this was taken.
Killifreth Mine
Killifreth Mine 5 – The building in the foreground now used by a farmer for storage. During working it housed a steam driven horizontal double cylinder whim engine.
Killifreth Mine
Killifreth Mine 6 – The 50″ Engine House on Old Sump or Engine Shaft.
Killifreth Mine
Cornish Mine Images 7 – I visited the engine house again during 2013 with Tracy. The area is now very overgrown and we had to battle through brambles to reach it. Tracy was not impressed.
Killifreth Mine
Cornish Mine Images 8 – A final image of the Engine House on Old Sump Shaft.
Cornish Mine Images
Cornish Mine Images 9 – Looking from down the path towards the rear of the Engine House through the trees.
Cornish Mine Images
Cornish Mine Images 10 – An image of the Stamps Engine House. The stack in the background served the mines Calciners probably dates from about 1890.
Cornish Mine Images
Cornish Mine Images 11 – Another image of the Stamps Engine House. It housed a 32″ engine which drove 64 heads of stamps. In the recent years this has been converted to a dwelling.
Cornish Mine Images
Cornish Mine Images 12 – Finally, this is taken from the boiler house side of the Stamps House. This was built during 1875. The crankshaft loadings with the slots for two flywheels remain well preserved at the base of the bob wall.

King Edward Mine

Contact