Very little remains of Tincroft Mine, it has disappeared beneath modern developments. Until the 1960’s the whole area was a wasteland of vast burrows and tailings, now its difficult to visualise the landscape that once was.
These images were taken during the 1990’s.
Carn Brea & Tincroft Mines were merged during 1896. The ajoining Cooks Kitchen Mine had also been taken over in 1895 by Tincroft so both were absorbed into the one operation.
Only one Engine House of Carn Brea Mine survives, but at South Tincroft there are two remaining structures. A Compressor House and a Man Engine House still remain and make a prominent landmark on the road to Brea Village.
Operations closed in 1921 with a total output from Tincroft as: 112,700 tons Copper 32,972 tons of Tin, also 6,530 tons of Arsenic. Carn Brea Mine during its life produced: 237,493 tons Copper 29,600 tons Tin and 4,140 tons of Arsenic.
A letter with the Carn Brea and Tincroft Mine Logo.
Below is the General Manager’s Report to the 30th June 1914. It is interesting to note on the Chairman’s Report page 3 it is reported that the Carn Brea Section had been relinquished. Work will be concentrated on the Tincroft Sections of the Mine.