This page covers both West Peevor and the Wheal Peevor Mine sites.
In total there are five surviving engine houses in a relatively small area, the Peevor Mine is adjacent to the A30 and is a familiar landmark to passing motorists. The area was reclaimed and stabilised during 2005-2007. The engine houses also received much needed structural restoration. However the underground access to a major site was lost.
The images on this page are ordered as if the visitor is walking up the valley from the west to Wheel Peevor main site. All these images were taken during the late 1990’s.
West Peevor Mine is situated in the valley below the main site. The two engine houses here were erected during 1882. A 50″ Pumping Engine on Mitchell’s Shaft and a 22″ Stamps Engine. There was also a winding house but only the base survives somewhere in the gorse. The mine was closed during 1887.
However the story was not over. During the 1960’s the mine was re-investigated in an effort to intersect the Wheal Peevor lodes. During this process a concrete plinth was erected in front of the engine house to mount an electric hoist, also the building was reduced in size.
After a favorable drilling programme the shaft was re-opened and investigated to a depth of 170ft. At this point the miners found a blockage which proved impossible to shift. Subsequently the shaft was capped and the project was abandoned.
The original Wheal Peevor Mine dates back to the 18th Century when the site was worked as part of Great North Downs Mine producing Copper from shallow deposits. The mine proper started in 1872 with the erection of the remains we see today.
The underground workings were concentrated at around 40 Fathoms below adit level on a rich lode of Tin which assayed at around 4% Tin. Because the usual recovery was 1.5% this kept the mine in profit whilst others failed.
There are two Calciners on the site which were built to process Arsenic which was a valuable by-product.
Both the mines were abandoned in 1887 due the low price of Tin. During its lifetime the mine produced a total of 3,280 Tons of Tin.
The site then lay idle until 1912 when there was a plan to mine Wolfram which was believed to be present. New machinery was also installed but this attempt was abandoned after the end of the First World War.