Allens Shaft Botallack Mine. The remains in this area slightly inland all date from the last period of reworking in the early 20th Century.
The shaft sinking commenced in 1906, by the time the mine closed for the final time it had reached a depth of over 1400ft. It was a big shaft, with five compartments it was one of the largest ever sunk in Cornwall. The internal measurements were, 19ft 6″ by 6ft. As was the tradition it was named after one of the directors of the new company, Francis Allen.
New buildings were erected around the shaft, in 1908 a horizontal steam winder was installed, of which the chimney still remains.
A new mill was erected containing 40 heads of Californian Stamps, the foundations for these still remain today. Buddles and a Brunton Calciner are also on the site. A Power Station was also built which would supply power to the mine and the pumps, the wall of this can still be seen today.
As was often the case the rich lodes hoped for were actually far out to sea with little favorable results inland. Sadly the new venture was not a success, finally closing on March 14th,1914.
During the 1980’s once again there was interest in the site. Geevor Mines Ltd wanted to expand their sett into the Botallack workings in the hope of finding new reserves. At this time the price of Tin was at an all time high.
In 1985 Geevor installed a new steel headframe and winder. Also the shaft was re-conditioned in preparation of being used again. Well laid plans, investment and optimism were all bashed when the price of Tin crashed with the collapse of the International Tin Agreement.
So, after a small amount of production and exploration the site was again sadly abandoned.
I like this site hence the reason for a separate page. The contrast between the old and the new, along with the history of the place makes photography more interesting. All the images on this page were taken during 2013/14.
The area around Allens Shaft Botallack is on private ground, so please obtain permission before entering.