Poldice Mine, numerous deep shafts cover the Poldice Valley. But for such an important mine very little remains to be seen.
The images on this page were taken on a fantastic summers day during the mid 1990’s. The site has received some stabilisation also grilles have been put up to protect the unwary.
The mine was active from the 17th Century up to 1913. During that time over 150,000 tons of Copper, 1500 tons of Tin, 2,500 tons of Arsenic also 320 tons of Ochre.
The present day remains date from during the 1920’s. Park-an-Chy Mine purchased the site to process their ore. An ariel ropeway was also built to transport the material from the mine.
The existing plant was extended and modernised. Two Calciners were installed along with stamps, buddles, shaking tables also magnetic separators. Up to 120 tons of ore could be processed daily.
Underground mining was again commenced at Poldice by Park-an-Chy in the hopes of finding new ore reserves. But in 1930 both the mines were closed and the mill was dismantled in 1932.
Roskear Shaft Site:1